What do you have planned for your business? A Moonshot, a Roof-Shot or a Plod-Shot?
In essence, there are only three shots you can take in business (and in life). A moonshot, a roof-shot, or a plod-shot. A moonshot 🚀🌜 is going for 10X bigger results while the rest of the world is going for 10% better results (making roof-shots 🏡). The great thing about moonshots is that if you’re reading this, you literally already have access to everything you need to make a moonshot and in doing so making this your best year ever.
The MoonshotYou have this burning desire to make this year ten times better than the wildest dreams you have for yourself, your family and your tribe. You have NO idea how to do it. But, the crazy thing (read the lunatic thing) is you believe it’s totally possible. Besides, Maslow nailed it when he said, “What a man can be, he must be.” In the spirit of sharing, here’s my personal moonshot mission. Fasten your seatbelt, and please, don’t roll your eyes 🙄…
🚀🌜Mission: To make the moon the most densely populated lifestyle business district in the entire galaxy.Why? Because I’ve seen way too many wellness businesses, coaches and practitioners (including the present company) fade away or struggle to make ends meet. That breaks my heart. And I’ve made it my moonshot mission to change that.
The Roof-ShotA moonshot sounds great but you just want this year to be 10% better last year. Then, if that goes as planned, maybe you’ll launch a moonshot next year. Besides, with everything that’s going on in your life, it’s going to be a real stretch to reach the roof. And who wants to risk losing face by attempting an audacious moonshot and anyway ending up hitting the roof.
Side note: If you don’t deliberately choose either a moonshot or roof-shot, you’ve chosen a plod-shot by default and the remainder of this article is not for you.
The Plod-ShotYour life is perfect as it is. There’s no point in disrupting the status quo. Or maybe 2020 really gave you a hammering. You’ll be happy just to survive in 2021. Maslow was right. First satisfy your physiological, security and safety needs. Just plod along.
Here’s the thing… It really doesn’t matter which shot you take. As Henry Ford famously said, “Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right…” Amen to that.
Do You Have What It Takes To Make A Moonshot?This is perhaps best answered by Marianne Williamson…
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. (my emphasis) There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. – Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of “A Course in Miracles”
The Origin of Moonshot ThinkingMoonshot thinking was born in 1962 when President John F. Kennedy announced the seemingly impossible goal of putting a man on the Moon by the end of the decade. Nobody knew how that would get done. The technology wasn’t even remotely ready. On July 20, 1969, the first steps by humans on another planetary body were taken by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.
What Is Moonshot Thinking?You already have an inkling. The best definition of modern moonshot thinking comes from Astro Teller, the current head of X (formerly Google X).
Moonshot thinking is going 10X bigger, while the rest of the world is trying to grow 10%. – Astro TellerWatch this inspirational YouTube video to see how moonshot thinking pans out in life…
Why Do Moonshots Matter?According to Astro Teller, there are three principal reasons why moonshots matter:
- When you try and do something radically hard, you approach the problem differently than when you try to make something incrementally better. The goal of 10x improvement forces you to throw out old problems and brainstorm something radically new.
- When you attack a problem as if it were solvable, even if you don’t know how to solve it, you’ll be shocked with what you come up with. Just giving yourself permission to say, “I have no idea how I’m going to do this,” and, again, just forcing yourself to write down crazy ideas will allow you to ideate convergences and breakthroughs you wouldn’t have normally made. It unshackles you.
- Aiming for something that is 10x better vs 10% better is 100 times more worth it… but never 100 times harder.
The Moonshot LaunchpadAnd then comes the big question: how do you plan and launch a moonshot? If you’ve given moonshots some thought you will intuit that there is no single blueprint or methodology to do it. But there are many tools and frameworks that could help us successfully launch our moonshots. The stages in executing a moonshot are:
- Moonshot Vision. Although it is the first step, it is the basis of everything. Anything that is fueled by your passion and that is a 10X for you fits the description. The “you” is important here. Don’t shrink or bloat your moonshot dreams to fit someone else. A word of warning: if you can Google a free step-by-step guide for each of the next three steps, it’s probably a roof-shot and not a moonshot; if you don’t need any external help, it’s definitely a roof-shot. A true moonshot vision is somewhere between “Why bother.. (+10%) and “Impossible! I’m not superwoman leading the X-Men… (100X)”.
- Moonshot Design. You can design a roof-shot with just a few new notes scribbled on a napkin. It’s a recipe for disaster when executing a moonshot. Moonshots require a dynamic bespoke plan and planning system that can easily evolve and morph with your Moonshot Launch and Landing. Fortunately, the (near) perfect Moonshot Design System already exists.
- Moonshot Launch. The launch is all about navigating the bumps and bruises in your search for the perfect moonshot rocket. 🚀 Because you can’t reach a moonshot on your own the trickiest part of the launch is recruiting your team of X-Men. Fortunately, once you have a bespoke Moonshot Design, the gig-economy makes the launch remarkably easy.
- Moonshot Landing. There is no external blueprint for this… You just have to make sure your first-aid kit is well-stocked then experiment a lot, see what works and what does not. Celebrating each failure and each success irrespective of size and impact.
Your Turn! 10x Your Business!If you’re like me, you already do some end-of-year planning and envisioning. If so, you may want to try the 3-year Moonshot Planner. It is specifically designed to help lifestyle entrepreneurs 10X their impact. It also works exceptionally well for moonshotting (if there is such a verb) personal goals.
Credit for this 3-year planner goes to Peter Diamandis’s 5-Year Moonshot Planner for corporate executives.Here’s the thinking behind the planner…
- Doing anything big and bold in the world is hard.
- It takes passion, grit, luck and sometimes years of hard work to see a moonshot materialize, much less succeed.
- There’s no one-size-fits-all blueprint for a successful moonshot therefore, the path is littered with obstacles and failure.
- Yet, as Tony Robbins says, success leaves clues. There are playbooks you can use.
- Start with your moonshot vision and complete a 3-year Moonshot Plan.
- Then pick your moonshot captain and allow your team of X-Men to execute.
- 3-Year Goal: Briefly describe your 3-year Moonshot goal in a clear, objective fashion using specific dates and numbers.
- PROOF: What evidence can you provide to your team/family that this Moonshot is possible?
- 1-Year Goal: What concrete, measurable milestones can you achieve in 12 months that will put you on track? Remember, your progress is exponential. You just need to hit 6.25% of the target.
- 30-Day Goal: What can you do in the next 30 days to test and ‘de-risk’ your 1-year and 3-year objectives?
- ACTION: What single action can you take right now to make immediate progress? (Do it in the next hour).